Invisalign is the best alternative to traditional wired braces that uses transparent, incremental aligners to adjust your teeth. Invisalign treatment uses a series of removable clear aligners to straighten teeth and correct gaps, crowding, and mild bite issues. It is made of flexible plastic that fits perfectly over your teeth and gradually adjusts their position. The aligners are worn 24/7, except for when eating, drinking, or brushing teeth.
The process involves taking a mold of the patient’s teeth that is scanned to create a computerized model of the patient’s teeth. As per the doctor’s treatment plan, the computer model creates stages between the current and desired position of your to create molds for individual aligners. Based on your treatment plan, a series of custom-made, clear aligners are created specifically for you. Clear aligners are made of smooth, and comfortable plastic that does not irritate your gums and cheeks like traditional metal braces. You have to wear them throughout the day and remove them only when you eat or to brush and floss your teeth. Regular wearing of each set of aligners will make your teeth shift into place gradually. Clear aligners are virtually invisible, and most people won’t even notice you’re wearing them.
Invisalign treatment time ranges from 6–18 months, depending on the condition of your teeth. Invisalign clear aligners are an option for children, teens, and adults. This orthodontic treatment is the most popular with adults who had braces during their early years and didn’t wear a retainer to keep their teeth from moving. As with metal braces, you may need to wear a retainer post-treatment to maintain your new and improved smile.
Pros of Invisalign
- Invisalign clear aligners are easy to wear and take less time than traditional wire and bracket braces.
- Clear aligners give you the freedom to eat whatever you want-whereas you have to avoid sticky foods, candy, gum if you wear traditional braces.
- You can keep your mouth and teeth cleaner than with traditional braces if you brush and floss your teeth regularly. You’re unlikely to have white decalcification spots on your teeth.
- Regular monitoring of the tooth movement and results is a strong motivator for sticking with your customized plan.
Cons of Invisalign
- Invisalign is not a fast treatment as time averages about 12 months.
- You have to wear the trays for most of the day and night seriously.
- You’ll have to remove the clear aligners before eating or drinking anything and replace them immediately afterward.
- Invisalign treatment can be uncomfortable during the first few days. Each tray is shaped to fit the alignment of your teeth as per plan. So it may be hard to get adjusted on and off when you start wearing it. Otherwise, it will be a better treatment than the traditional one.
- You may need to wear some tiny, teeth-colored dots (or bumps) that are bonded to your teeth and click into your aligners to make them more effective.
- You may develop a slight speech impediment or experience excess saliva or a dry mouth during the initial days of wearing the aligners.